Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Short Legs Can't Run.....



"My fellow Americans, you have to decide what kind of country you want to live in. If you want a you're on your own, winner take all society you should support the Republican ticket. If you want a country of shared opportunities and shared responsibilities, a 'we're all in it together' society, you should vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden." - William J. Clinton

I hated Physical Education growing up, You see I have short legs, most all PE things require running, and with short legs, one must run three times faster than the rest of the participants. This resulted in me not being able to win in any of the competitions that required running. This also resulted in many sore winners shaming me for not being able to compete.....

This dynamic translates to a lot of areas in life, jobs being one of them. You see, I have been diagnosed with ADHD, along with several other conditions. Before my diagnoses, I went through like forty different jobs, and after as many terminations and being told told to 'Try harder' and 'It's your own fault', I was very discouraged and suffered from in the confidence department. If it was not for the promise I made when i was seventeen, I would have killed myself along time ago. By the time I was seventeen, I had already tried to commit suicide twice, and I could not even get that right. So I decided to let the third time sit with God, I tried twice because I was convinced that I was worthless, that I had no hope for a future, fast forward 36 years, and 65 jobs later, and I still lack confidence. The only confidence I have not now is my my ability to get a job, I work hard to look for work, my daughter is dependent on it. Whenever I get let go, I head right back to the want ads to get another job.

It is obvious to me that employers did not care about how well i perform. I have the hyper gene, which lets me work faster than most people. Many people cannot believe that I can work that quickly. So they look for things that are wrong to confirm their beliefs that I am somehow cheating and not doing my job effectively. When they could not find anything wrong, they would add more tasks to my job until i did fail. It is either this, or it seems like they felt like my performance put their job on the line. Skills were not what got me fired. The bar kept moving. Nothing I could do would satisfy any bosses. when I exceeded expectations, I was met with suspicion, jealousy and contempt, still feeding into my desire to end my life, but I have always remembered that I made a promise and that I have a daughter to consider.....

The Trump administration thinks that it is more moral to force someone to run faster than they are capable of, rather than to address their individual needs. They would rather attack the person than help them. They would rather bury them than heal them. Doing the research, I have found out that we as taxpayers pay less than twenty dollars a year on foodstamps and welfare, a pittance for many. With numbers so low, however, there are still some people claiming people that they do not want to be forced to pay the less than twenty dollars a year that it cost them to help boost up Americans in need., They would rather force someone to run faster than they are capable of. How is this moral?

It is ridiculous to care more about saving twenty dollars than helping the needy, knowing that such insensitivities add to an increased likelihood of both criminal and suicidal behaviors in poor populations. Worse, those those that are well off spend their days convincing people in less than budding circumstances that it is all somehow their own fault and that the only way out of the situation is to somehow grab themselves up by their own bootstraps. We as a society must put our foot down on this, attack the argument, and help people with practical economic solutions. Education and medical attention will help to this end. The education will teach people the job skills they need and how to look for work, and the medical will help them to get undiagnosed medical conditions medicated so that they can function normally in society.This is especially the case for mental health care. We have to fix these problems not hide them, not ignore them, not shame anyone who is 'less than perfect'.

No comments:

Post a Comment